|birth place / date||Cles (Trento, Italy) / 6-06-1967|
|current position||associate professor|
|Università degli Studi di Milano|
|Via Celoria 16 - 20133 Milano - ITALY|
|tel||+39 02 50317355|
|fax||+39 02 50317482|
2001-2011: assistant professor - Università degli Studi di Milano, Italy.
2000-2001: research scientist - I.N.F.M. and SISSA - Trieste, Italy, in E. Tosatti's group.
1995-2000: research scientist - E.S.R.F. - Grenoble, France, in M. Altarelli's group.
1992: 6 months' research grant - Yale Univ. - New Haven CT, USA, in F. Iachello's group.
1995, Oct. 27 - Ph.D. in Condensed Matter Theory at SISSA - Trieste - Italy cum summa laude. Supervisor: E. Tosatti. External referee: D. Baeriswyl. Thesis title: Electron - Vibron Coupling in Charged Fullerene, Berry Phase, and Superconductivity, iris.sissa.it/handle/20.500.11767/3874 .
1991, Sep. 19 - M.Sc. in Physics at Università degli Studi di Trento - Italy, with full marks and honor 110/110 cum laude. Thesis title: Vibrational Spectroscopy of Four-atomic Molecules. Supervisors: F. Iachello (Yale University), S. Oss, and M. Scotoni (Trento University).
Nanofriction: understanding the nanoscale mechanisms for the conversion of mechanical energy into heat; bridging the gap from the nano to the macro scale; friction and dissipation in layers of colloids.
Quantum dissipation in ion-trap experiments.
Radiation-matter scattering beyond the perturbative limit, with applications to free-electron laser high-intensity radiation pulses.
Structural and transport properties of nanoconfined ionic liquids.
Calculation of the vibrational spectra of triatomic and 4-atomic molecules, within an algebraic model based on anharmonic Morse coordinates.
NM has been carrying out theoretical/computational research encompassing a broad range of themes and phenomena in the field of friction at the atomic scale. In detail, NM has participated in the discovery and characterization of soliton-related velocity-quantization phenomena in models for the sliding of solid surfaces separated by hard lubricants. NM's group has recently investigated this phenomenon in realistic conditions, and connected it with known dynamical synchronization phenomena of the Shapiro-steps type. Related research has focused on energy dissipation in quantum-mechanical mesoscopic models, energy transport in quasicrystals, and friction/dissipation/synchronization in colloidal layers. NM is currently leading a COST Action on nano and mesoscale friction, and has contributed to the assessment of the present state of the art of this field, with a Reviews of Modern Physics Colloquium. Research in nanofriction involves collaboration with several top scientists in the field, including O.M. Braun, E. Tosatti, M. Urbakh, S. Zapperi, A. Vanossi, G.E. Santoro.
Further interests of NM's research include:
2012-2017: NM is leading the COST Action Understanding and Controlling Nano and Mesoscale Friction approved in May 2013 www.cost.eu/domains_actions/mpns/Actions/MP1303 , currently running (from 08/10/2013 to 07/10/2017) on an annual budget in the 130 Keuro region, involving 200+ participants from 27 countries. The Action web site www.nanofriction.org/ advertises the managed and planned events. NM has served MP1303 as Chair.
2015-2017: participation to a H2020 Innovative Training Network (ITN) Excellent Science, Call H2020-MSCA-ITN-2015, in the role of local coordinator (scored above threshold but not funded, resubmitted Jan 2016 and Jan 2017).
2001-current: participation to several funded projects (Italian PRIN/COFIN, FIRB, a EU Network of Excellence).
Ph.D. in physics:
M.Sc. (laurea magistrale) in physics:
B.Sc. (laurea triennale) in physics:
2011-current: Solid-State Physics 1 (Fisica dei Solidi 1, 48 hours/year) for the Master's degree in Physics - Milan University.
2011-current: Structure of Matter 1 (Struttura della Materia 1, 80 hours/year) for the Bachelor's degree in Physics - Milan University. Lecture notes and proposed exercises are available at materia.fisica.unimi.it/manini/dida/Struttura_della_Materia_1.html .
2010: Surface Physics 1 (Fisica delle Superfici 1, 48 hours/year) for the Master's degree in Physics - Milan University.
2008-2009: Physical methods applied to biotechnology (Metodi fisici applicati alle biotecnologie, 24 hours/year) for the Master's degree in biotechnology - Milan University. Detailed program and slides are available at materia.fisica.unimi.it/manini/dida/Metodi_Fisici_Biotecnologie.html .
2003-current: Quantum Theory of Matter for the Physics, Astrophysics and Applied Physics PhD School - Milan University (10 hours/year).
2003-2009: Structure of Matter 1 (Struttura della Materia 1, 60 hours/year) for the Bachelor's degree in Physics - Milan University. With the adaptation of the Milan-University higher-education programs to the Bologna process, NM was charged to plan the contents of this first-cycle new course. The conceptual conversion of the old Structure of Matter into the current Physics of Condensed Matter is the result of that evolution. NM's lecture notes covering the reworked material had been printed by local CUSL for several years, until the recent in-depth revision and volume publication with Springer.
2002-2010: appointed teacher of Vibronic effects in molecules and molecular solids at SISSA, Trieste.
2001-2003: practicals for Structure of Matter (Struttura della Materia, 30 hours/year) for the pre-Bologna-style 4-years M.Sc. diploma (Laurea quadriennale) in Physics - Milan University.
1994, 1995, 2000: trainer of the Italian Physics Olympiads Team.
1991-1992: math and physics at high-school level (students of age 13-19) in Trento and Rovereto, Italy (16 weeks - 18 hours/week).
2008: member of the committee for the selection of the Director of the European Theoretical Spectroscopy Facility.
2007-2010: member of the teaching executive committee (Giunta) for the Physics Department at Milan University.
2006-current: proposer and local contact of the Physics and Chemistry of Advanced Materials (PCAM) European Doctorate network.
2006-2008: member of the Science Faculty executive committee (Giunta) of Milan University.
2003-2011 and 2013-current: member of the Council of teachers of the Physics, Astrophysics and Applied Physics PhD School of the Milan University. In years 2003-2007 NM operated as the Council's Scientific Secretary.
1998-current: Referee of approximately 90 manuscripts for the following journals: Beilstein J. Nanotechnol., Chem. Phys. Lett., Commun. Theor. Phys., Comput. Theor. Chem., Eur. Phys. J. B, Europhys Lett., J. Mol. Struct., J. Phys. B, J. Phys. Chem. Solids, J. Supercond. Novel Magnet., Model. Simul. Mater. Sci. Eng., Philos. Mag., Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., Phys. Lett. A, Phys. Rev. A + B + E + Lett., Phys. Status Solidi B, Tribol. Lett., and Rep. Math. Phys. Referee of research projects for: the German Research Foundation (DFG); the Italian Supercomputing Center Cineca; the Italian Ministry of Research (MIUR).
2016-2017: co-organizer of the Joint ICTP-COST-MODPHYSFRICT Conference on 'Trends in Nanotribology 2017' (TiN17), Trieste, June 26-30, 2017 - indico.ictp.it/event/7971/ .
2013-2015: co-organizer of the Condensed Matter Highlights workshop series in Milan, sites.google.com/site/somunimi/
2010-2011: co-organizer of the Joint ICTP/FANAS Conference on Trends in Nanotribology, Trieste, Sep. 12-16, 2011 - indico.ictp.it/event/a10163/ , and co-editor of the proceedings Tribology Letters vol. 48/1 link.springer.com/journal/11249/48/1/ .
2008-2009: co-organizer of the Joint ICTP/FANAS Conference on Trends in Nanotribology, Trieste, Oct. 19-24, 2009 - indico.ictp.it/event/a08185/ , and co-editor of the proceedings Tribology Letters vol. 39/3 link.springer.com/journal/11249/39/3/ .
2005-2006: co-organizer of the International Symposium on the Jahn-Teller Effects: Novel Aspects in Orbital Physics and Vibronic Dynamics of Molecules and Crystals, Trieste, Aug. 28-31, 2006 - indico.ictp.it/event/a05220 , and co-editor of the proceedings J. Mol. Struct. vol. 838 www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00222860/838 .
2003-2004: co-organizer of the Mini-Colloquium Theory of Optical end Dielectric Properties of Condensed Matter at the 20th General Conference Condensed Matter Division European Physical Society, Prague, Czech Republic, July 19-23, 2004.
2003-2004: co-organizer of the Fullerene - Solid State Symposium, at the 205rd Meeting of The Electrochemical Society, San Antonio TX, USA, May 9-13, 2004.
Italian: Mother tongue; English: CEFR-C2; French: Fluent.
Current OSs: linux, android, MS-Windows; past OS experience: aix, hp-ux, MS-dos, Mac OS, vms.
Programming: c++, python, perl, fortran, Mathematica, unix shell/sed/awk, html, usage of standard numerical libraries (lapack, Numerical Recipes) and parallel-computer environments (mpi).
Editors/utilities: emacs, latex, xmgrace, gimp, rawtherapee, xfig, libreoffice, google drive.
87. Protomene: a new carbon allotrope, F. Delodovici, N. Manini, R.S. Wittman, D.S. Choi, M. Al Fahim, and L.A. Burchfield, submitted to Carbon.
86. Atomic scale front propagation at the onset of frictional sliding, S. Bonfanti, A. Taloni, C. Negri, A. Sellerio, N. Manini, and S. Zapperi, submitted to J. Phys. Chem. Lett.
85. Velocity dependence of sliding friction on a crystalline surface, C. Apostoli, G. Giusti, J. Ciccoianni, G. Riva, R. Capozza, R. L. Woulaché, A. Vanossi, E. Panizon, and N. Manini, in print in Beilstein J. Nanotechnol.
84. Graphene nanoribbons on gold: Understanding superlubricity and edge effects, L. Gigli, N. Manini, A. Benassi, E. Tosatti, A. Vanossi, and R. Guerra, 2D Mater. 4, 045003 (2017).
83. Finite-temperature phase diagram and critical point of the Aubry pinned-sliding transition in a two-dimensional monolayer, D. Mandelli, A. Vanossi, N. Manini, and E. Tosatti, Phys. Rev. B 95, 245403 (2017).
82. Current trends in the physics of nanoscale friction, N. Manini, G. Mistura, G. Paolicelli, E. Tosatti, and A. Vanossi, Adv. Phys. X 2, 569 (2017).
81. Novamene: A new class of carbon allotropes, L.A. Burchfield, M. Al Fahim, R.S. Wittman, F. Delodovici, and N. Manini, Heliyon 3, e00242 (2017).
80. Friction and Nonlinear Dynamics, N. Manini, O.M. Braun, E. Tosatti, R. Guerra, and A. Vanossi, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 28, 293001 (2016).
79. Subharmonic Shapiro steps of sliding colloidal monolayers in optical lattices, S.V. Paronuzzi Ticco, G. Fornasier, N. Manini, G.E. Santoro, E. Tosatti, and A. Vanossi, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 28, 134006 (2016).
78. Superlubric-Pinned Transition in Sliding Incommensurate Colloidal Monolayers, D. Mandelli, A. Vanossi, M. Invernizzi, S. Paronuzzi, N. Manini, and E. Tosatti, Phys. Rev. B 92, 134306 (2015).
77. Friction Boosted by Equilibrium Misalignment of Incommensurate Two-Dimensional Colloid Monolayers, D. Mandelli, A. Vanossi, N. Manini, E. Tosatti, Phys. Rev. Lett. 114, 108302 (2015).
76. Oxidation of carbynes: signatures in infrared spectra, E. Cinquanta, N. Manini, L. Ravagnan, L. Caramella, G. Onida, P. Milani, and P. Rudolf, J. Chem. Phys. 140, 244708 (2014).
75. Thermal formation of carbynes, T.M. Mazzolari and N. Manini, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 26, 215302 (2014).
74. Soliton dynamics in a solid lubricant during sliding friction, A. Vigentini, B. Van Hattem, E. Diato, P. Ponzellini, T. Meledina, A. Vanossi, G. Santoro, E. Tosatti, and N. Manini, Phys. Rev. B 89, 094301 (2014).
73. Hydrostatic strain enhancement in laterally confined SiGe nanostripes, G.M. Vanacore, M. Chaigneau, N. Barrett, M. Bollani, F. Boioli, M. Salvalaglio, F. Montalenti, N. Manini, L. Caramella, P. Biagioni, D. Chrastina, G. Isella, O. Renault, M. Zani, R. Sordan, G. Onida, R. Ossikovski, H.-J. Drouhin, and A. Tagliaferri, Phys. Rev. B 88, 115309 (2013); a figure was selected for prb.aps.org/kaleidoscope/September2013 .
72. Influence of substrate potential shape on the dynamics of a sliding lubricant chain, R.L. Woulaché, A. Vanossi, and N. Manini, Phys. Rev. E 88, 012810 (2013).
71. Colloquium: Modeling friction: From nanoscale to mesoscale, A. Vanossi, N. Manini, M. Urbakh, S. Zapperi, and E. Tosatti, Rev. Mod. Phys. 85, 529 (2013).
70. Size Scaling of Static Friction, O.M. Braun, N. Manini, and E. Tosatti, Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 085503 (2013).
69. Static and dynamic friction in sliding colloidal monolayers, A. Vanossi, N. Manini, and E. Tosatti, P. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 109, 16429 (2012).
68. Orthorhombic fulleride (CH3NH2)K3C60 close to Mott-Hubbard instability: Ab initio study, A. Potočnik, N. Manini, M. Komelj, E. Tosatti, and D. Arčon, Phys. Rev. B 86, 085109 (2012).
67. Mechanical properties of carbynes investigated by ab initio total-energy calculations, I.E. Castelli, P. Salvestrini, and N. Manini, Phys. Rev. B. 85, 214110 (2012).
66. Interfacial layering of a room-temperature ionic liquid thin film on mica: a computational investigation, D. Dragoni, N. Manini, and P. Ballone, ChemPhysChem 13, 1772 (2012).
65. Carbon sp chains in graphene nanoholes, I.E. Castelli, N. Ferri, G. Onida, and N. Manini, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 24, 104019 (2012).
64. Nano-indentation of a room-temperature ionic liquid film on silica: a computational experiment, P. Ballone, M.G. Del Popolo, S. Bovio, A. Podestà, P. Milani, and N. Manini, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 14, 2475 (2012).
63. Vibrational characterization of dinaphthylpolyynes: A model system for the study of end-capped sp carbon chains, E. Cinquanta, L. Ravagnan, I.E. Castelli, F. Cataldo, N. Manini, G. Onida, and P. Milani, J. Chem. Phys. 135, 194501 (2011).
62. Crossover from adiabatic to antiadiabatic quantum pumping with dissipation, F. Pellegrini, C. Negri, F. Pistolesi, N. Manini, G.E. Santoro, and E. Tosatti, Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 060401 (2011).
61. Crystalline misfit-angle implications for solid sliding, N. Manini and O.M. Braun, Phys. Lett. A 375, 2946 (2011).
60. Dependence of boundary lubrication on the misfit angle between the sliding surfaces, O.M. Braun and N. Manini, Phys. Rev. E 83, 021601 (2011); a figure was selected for pre.aps.org/kaleidoscope/February2011 .
59. Synthesis, Characterization, and Modeling of Naphthyl-Terminated sp Carbon Chains: Dinaphthylpolyynes, F. Cataldo, L. Ravagnan, E. Cinquanta, I.E. Castelli, N. Manini, G. Onida, and P. Milani, J. Phys. Chem. B 114, 14834 (2010).
58. Ab initio intraband contributions to the optical properties of metals, M. Cazzaniga, L. Caramella, N. Manini, and G. Onida, Phys. Rev. B 82, 035104 (2010).
57. Vibrational properties of sp carbon atomic wires in cluster-deposited carbon films, G. Onida, N. Manini, L. Ravagnan, E. Cinquanta, D. Sangalli, and P. Milani, Phys. Status Solidi B 247, 2017 (2010).
56. Comment to 'Imaging the atomic orbitals of carbon atomic chains with field-emission electron microscopy', N. Manini and G. Onida, Phys. Rev. B 81, 127401 (2010).
55. AFM dissipation topography and hysteretic phenomena at adsorbed overlayers, C. Negri, N. Manini, A. Vanossi, G.E. Santoro, and E. Tosatti, Phys. Rev. B 81, 045417 (2010).
54. Mesophases in nearly-2D room-temperature ionic liquids, N. Manini, M. Cesaratto, M. G. Del Popolo, and P. Ballone, J. Phys. Chem. B 113, 15602 (2009).
53. Tribology of the lubricant quantized-sliding state, I.E. Castelli, R. Capozza, A. Vanossi, G.E. Santoro, N. Manini, and E. Tosatti, J. Chem. Phys. 131, 174711 (2009).
52. Atomistic simulations of the sliding friction of graphene flakes, F. Bonelli, N. Manini, E. Cadelano, and L. Colombo, Eur. Phys. J. B 70, 449 (2009).
51. Effect of Axial Torsion on sp Carbon Atomic Wires, L. Ravagnan, N. Manini, E. Cinquanta, G. Onida, D. Sangalli, C. Motta, M. Devetta, A. Bordoni, P. Piseri, and P. Milani, Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 245502 (2009).
50. Algebraic-matrix calculation of vibrational levels of triatomic molecules, T. Sedivcova, Hewa Y. Abdullah, and N. Manini, J. Phys. Chem. A 113, 6142 (2009).
49. DC and AC Josephson Effects with Superfluid Fermi Atoms Across a Feshbach Resonance, L. Salasnich, F. Ancilotto, N. Manini, and F. Toigo, Laser Phys. 19, 636 (2009).
48. The role of lubricant molecular shape in microscopic friction, O. M. Braun, N. Manini, and E. Tosatti, Phys. Rev. B 78, 195402 (2008).
47. Role of transverse displacements for a quantized-velocity state of the lubricant, I.E. Castelli, N. Manini, R. Capozza, A. Vanossi, G.E. Santoro, and E. Tosatti, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 20, 354005 (2008).
46. Nonlinear hysteretic behavior of a confined sliding layer, N. Manini, G.E. Santoro, E. Tosatti, and A. Vanossi, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 20, 224020 (2008).
45. Lubricated friction between incommensurate substrates, A. Vanossi, G.E. Santoro, N. Manini, E. Tosatti, and O.M. Braun, Tribol. Int. 41, 920 (2008).
44. Macroscopic periodic tunneling of Fermi atoms in the BCS-BEC crossover, L. Salasnich, N. Manini and F. Toigo, Phys. Rev. A 77, 043609 (2008).
43. Ab initio self-energy corrections in systems with metallic screening, M. Cazzaniga, N. Manini, L. G. Molinari, and G. Onida, Phys. Rev. B 77, 035117 (2008).
42. An optimized algebraic basis for molecular potentials, A. Bordoni and N. Manini, J. Phys. Chem. A 111, 12564 (2007).
41. Static Friction on the Fly: Velocity Depinning Transitions of Lubricants in Motion, A. Vanossi, N. Manini, F. Caruso, G.E. Santoro, and E. Tosatti, Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 206101 (2007).
40. Dynamic hysteresis of a confined lubricant under shear, N. Manini, A. Vanossi, G.E. Santoro, and E. Tosatti, Phys. Rev. E 76, 046603 (2007).
39. Kink plateau dynamics in finite-size lubricant chains, M. Cesaratto, N. Manini, A. Vanossi, E. Tosatti, and G.E. Santoro, Surf. Sci. 601, 3682 (2007).
38. Hysteresis from dynamically pinned sliding states, A. Vanossi, G.E. Santoro, N. Manini, M. Cesaratto, and E. Tosatti, Surf. Sci. 601, 3670 (2007).
37. Solitons and exact velocity quantization of incommensurate sliders, N. Manini, M. Cesaratto, G.E. Santoro, E. Tosatti, and A. Vanossi, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 19, 305016 (2007).
36. Self-induced density modulations in the free expansion of Bose-Einstein condensates, L. Salasnich, N. Manini, F. Bonelli, M. Korbman, and A. Parola, Phys. Rev. A 75, 043616 (2007).
35. Mean-Field vs. Monte Carlo Equation of State for the Expansion of a Fermi Superfluid in the BCS-BEC Crossover, L. Salasnich and N. Manini, Laser Phys. 17, 169 (2007).
34. Systematic calculation of molecular vibrational spectra through a complete Morse expansion, A. Bordoni and N. Manini, Int. J. Quantum Chem. 107, 782 (2007).
33. Exactly quantized dynamics of classical incommensurate sliders, A. Vanossi, N. Manini, G. Divitini, G.E. Santoro, and E. Tosatti, Phys. Rev. Lett. 97, 056101 (2006).
32. Asymmetric frictional sliding between incommensurate surfaces, G.E. Santoro, A. Vanossi, N. Manini, G. Divitini, and E. Tosatti, Surf. Sci. 600, 2726 (2006).
31. Expansion of a Fermi Cloud in the BCS-BEC Crossover, G. Diana, N. Manini, and L. Salasnich, Phys. Rev. A 73, 065601 (2006).
30. Enumeration of many-body skeleton diagrams, L. G. Molinari and N. Manini, Eur. Phys. J. B 51, 331 (2006).
29. Condensate fraction of a Fermi gas in the BCS-BEC crossover, L. Salasnich, N. Manini, and A. Parola, Phys. Rev. A 72, 023621 (2005).
28. Bulk and collective properties of a dilute Fermi gas in the BCS-BEC crossover, N. Manini and L. Salasnich, Phys. Rev. A 71, 033625 (2005).
27. Low-energy excitations of a linearly Jahn-Teller coupled orbital quintet, N. Manini, Phys. Rev. A 71, 032503 (2005).
26. Low-energy unphysical saddle in polynomial molecular potentials, A. Del Monte, N. Manini, L.G. Molinari, and G.P. Brivio, Mol. Phys. 103, 689 (2005).
25. Jahn-Teller Spectral Fingerprint in Molecular Photoemission: C60, N. Manini, P. Gattari, and E. Tosatti, Phys. Rev. Lett. 91, 196402 (2003).
24. Hund's rule Magnetism in C60 ions?, M. Lueders, N. Manini, P. Gattari, and E. Tosatti, Eur. Phys. J. B 35, 57 (2003).
23. Comment to 'Experimental Evidence of a Dynamic Jahn-Teller Effect in C60+', N. Manini and E. Tosatti, Phys. Rev. Lett. 90, 249601 (2003).
22. Coulomb couplings in positively charged fullerene, M. Lueders, A. Bordoni, N. Manini, A. Dal Corso, M. Fabrizio, and E. Tosatti, Philos. Mag. B 82, 1611 (2002).
21. Sensitivity of the Mott transition to noncubic splitting of the orbital degeneracy: Application to NH3 K3C60, N. Manini, G.E. Santoro, A. Dal Corso, and E. Tosatti, Phys. Rev. B 66, 115107 (2002).
20. Observation of off-diagonal geometric phase in polarized neutron interferometer experiments, Y. Hasegawa, R. Loidl, G. Badurek, M. Baron, N. Manini, F. Pistolesi, and H. Rauch, Phys. Rev. A 65, 052111 (2002).
19. Low-Energy Scales and Temperature-Dependent Photoemission of Heavy Fermions, T.A. Costi and N. Manini, J. Low Temp. Phys. 126, 835 (2002).
18. Electron-vibration coupling constants in positively charged fullerene, N. Manini, A. Dal Corso, M. Fabrizio, and E. Tosatti, Philos. Mag. B 81, 793 (2001).
17. Off-Diagonal Geometric Phases, N. Manini and F. Pistolesi, Phys. Rev. Lett. 85, 3067 (2000).
16. Geometric Phases and Multiple Degeneracies in Harmonic Resonators, F. Pistolesi and N. Manini, Phys. Rev. Lett. 85, 1585 (2000).
15. Berry phase and ground-state symmetry in H ⊗ h dynamical Jahn-Teller systems, N. Manini and P. De Los Rios, Phys. Rev. B 62, 29 (2000).
14. The role of the Berry Phase in Dynamical Jahn-Teller Systems, N. Manini and P. De Los Rios, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 10, 8485 (1998).
13. Exact zero-point energy shift in the e ⊗ (n E), t ⊗ (n H) many-modes dynamic Jahn-Teller systems at strong coupling, N. Manini and E. Tosatti, Phys. Rev. B 58, 782 (1998).
12. Comment on 'Spin Polarization and Magnetic Circular Dichroism in Photoemission from the 2p Core Level of Ferromagnetic Ni', N. Manini, M. van Veenendaal, and M. Altarelli, Phys. Rev. Lett. 79, 2594 (1997).
11. Surprises in the Orbital Magnetic Moment and g-Factor of the Dynamic Jahn-Teller Ion C60-, E. Tosatti, N. Manini, and O. Gunnarsson, Phys. Rev. B 54, 17184 (1996).
10. Dynamical Jahn-Teller effect and Berry phase in positively charged fullerenes: Basic considerations, P. De Los Rios, N. Manini, and E. Tosatti, Phys. Rev. B 54, 7157 (1996).
9. Phase Diagram of a Model of Correlated Electrons in a Lattice of Berry Molecules, G. Santoro, N. Manini, A. Parola, and E. Tosatti, Phys. Rev. B 53, 828 (1996).
8. Phase Diagram of Correlated Electrons in a Lattice of Berry Phase Molecules, G. Santoro, M. Airoldi, N. Manini, E. Tosatti, and A. Parola, Phys. Rev. Lett. 74, 4039 (1995).
7. Enhanced Electron Pairing in a Lattice of Berry Phase Molecules, N. Manini, E. Tosatti, and S. Doniach, Phys. Rev. B 51, 3731 (1995).
6. A simple approach to correlation of rotovibrational levels of four-atomic molecules, N. Manini and S. Oss, Z. Phys. D 32, 85 (1994).
5. Anomalous attachment of low-energy electrons to C60, E. Tosatti and N. Manini, Chem. Phys. Lett. 223, 61 (1994).
4. Electron-vibron interactions in charged fullerenes. II. Pair energies and spectra, N. Manini, E. Tosatti, and A. Auerbach, Phys. Rev. B 49, 13008 (1994).
3. Electron-vibron interactions in charged fullerenes. I. Berry phases, A. Auerbach, N. Manini, and E. Tosatti, Phys. Rev. B 49, 12998 (1994).
2. VIBR3AT: a computer program for triatomic molecular spectroscopy in an algebraic approach, S. Oss, N. Manini, and R. Lemus Casillas, Comp. Phys. Comm. 74, 164 (1993).
1. Quasi-linear four-atomic molecules in the vibron model, F. Iachello, N. Manini, and S. Oss, J. Mol. Spectrosc. 156, 190 (1992).
6. Driven Colloidal Monolayers: Static and Dynamic Friction, A. Vanossi, N. Manini and E. Tosatti Fundamentals of Friction and Wear on the Nanoscale 2nd ed. edited by E. Gnecco and E. Meyer (Springer, Berlin, 2015), ISBN 978-3-319-10559-8, Chap. 19, p. 427; DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-10560-4_19.
5. Nanotribology: Nonlinear Mechanisms of Friction, N. Manini, O.M. Braun and A. Vanossi Fundamentals of Friction and Wear on the Nanoscale 2nd ed. edited by E. Gnecco and E. Meyer (Springer, Berlin, 2015), ISBN 978-3-319-10559-8, Chap. 10, p. 175; DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-10560-4_10.
4. Introduction to the Physics of Matter - Basic atomic, molecular, and solid-state physics, N. Manini (Springer, Cham, 2014); available as softcover (ISBN 978-3-319-14381-1) and eBook - (ISBN 978-3-319-14382-8); DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-14382-8.
3. Jahn-Teller and Coulomb correlations in fullerene ions and compounds. From isolated ions to metal, insulator, and superconductor phases of alkali fulleride solids, N. Manini and E. Tosatti, (Lambert Acad. Publ., Saarbrucken, 2010), ISBN 978-3-8383-6024-9.
2. Theoretical aspects of highly correlated fullerides: metal-insulator transition, N. Manini and E. Tosatti, Fullerene-Related Materials, edited by S. Margadonna (Springer, Berlin, 2014) ISBN 978-1402044588; Chap. 6. Also at cond-mat/0602134">arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0602134
1. Introduction to the Physics of Matter, N. Manini (CUSL Milano, 1st ed. 2007, 7th ed. 2013) ISBN 978-8881326914.
5. Colloidi e laser: una lente d'ingrandimento sul nanoattrito, N. Manini, E. Tosatti, A. Vanossi, www.lswn.it/fisica/colloidi-e-laser-una-lente-dingrandimento-sul-nanoattrito/ (2012).
4. Black-Body extrapolation of Infrared Irradiance for occupational risk assessment, G. Pungillo, N. Manini, and F. Frigerio, Ital. J. Occup. Environ. Hyg. 2, 25 (2011), www.ijoehy.it/Archivio/2_1/Ijohey2_1.htm
3. Off-diagonal geometric phases, F. Pistolesi and N. Manini, ILL Annual Report 2000, p. 76, www.ill.eu/fileadmin/users_files/Annual_Report/AR-00/p-76.htm (2000).
2. Berry's geometric phase: a review, N. Manini, materia.fisica.unimi.it/manini/berryphase.html (1999).
1. Off-diagonal geometric phases, N. Manini, materia.fisica.unimi.it/manini/offdiagonal.html (1999).
NM delivered a total of 26 invited talks, plus numerous contributed talks and posters at the following conferences and workshops:
Automatically converted from simple text to LaTeX on 11 October 2017, by totexcv v. 2.27 (13 Mar 2017).